SmartICE is hiring a seasonal/part-time community knowledge coordinator for Arctic Bay.
• Duration 2 years: Late October 2023 to June 2024 (8 months), and the following year
• Hours/Pay: 15-20 hours per week, $25 an hour
• This job posting is NOT for SmartICE operator positions
SmartICE is the community sea ice monitoring service for Arctic Bay www.smartice.org. SmartICE is
partnering with the community to continue a project to document and share important Inuit sea ice
knowledge to support safer sea ice travel around Arctic Bay.
We are looking for Inuit interested in learning more about the community’s sea ice Inuit knowledge
from Elders and experienced hunters, and being trained to:• hold workshops and meetings;
• learn more about using computers;
• make posters, books, and maps for their community to share this knowledge; and
• learn how to monitor sea ice conditions using satellite data.
Training will take place in the community and in an on-line classroom with Inuit from eight other
communities across Inuit Nunangat. Travel will be required to attend annual training workshops in:
Yellowknife in December 2023 and Iqaluit in March 2024.
• No sea ice experience necessary, just an interest to learn.
• Basic knowledge of how to use a computer and mobile phone.
To apply or for additional information on this opportunity please send an email on or before
Thursday October 19, 2023, to: Katherine Wilson
Katherine will be in Arctic Bay October 21-26, 2023, to conduct interviews and to start working with
the successful applicant.
Katherine Wilson Director of Knowledge Co-Production