Community Operators complete a comprehensive training course where they learn how to assemble, operate, and maintain the SmartQAMUTIK and SmartBUOY sensors. They learn how to use ocean instruments and upload the information to SIKU, the platform where the data collected is shared with their community. Operators are responsible for operating the equipment at least once a week and engage with the community to determine what routes to tow the SmartQAMUTIK device.
If you fit these criteria, SmartICE is looking for you!
- Seeking casual seasonal employment during the ice season
- Interested in supporting sea-ice safety in your community
- Interested in developing personal and employment skills
- Have experience travelling on the sea ice in your community
- Have traditional knowledge of sea ice and safety practices
- Understanding of the importance of job safety, accountability, and mutual respect in the workplace
- Interested in technology, environmental monitoring, or communications
Candidates selected for this position will:
- Take part in a 5-7 day SmartICE operator training program from Feb. 12-17th, 2024, and learn how to operate or deploy SmartICE’s SmartQAMUTIK and SmartBUOY technology
- Learn about equipment maintenance procedures and sea-ice safety measures
- Share land-based skills and knowledge of local ice conditions with youth trainees
- Become certified in emergency First Aid
If you are interested in becoming an operator in Iqaluit, contact:
Dave Noseworthy, Field Operations Lead, at email@example.com