About SmartICE: SmartICE is an award-winning technological innovation for the North. We are the world’s first climate change adaptation tool to integrate traditional knowledge of sea ice with advanced data acquisition and remote monitoring technology. Our system combines these approaches to provide invaluable, data-driven insights into sea-ice thickness and local ice conditions, in near
real-time. We embrace a business model that aims to expand opportunities for economic and social development in northern markets while preserving local cultures and lifestyles. SmartICE is a not for profit social enterprise. Our tools offer information that support better decision making across numerous industries. From mining, shipping and fisheries, to emergency response and national defense – SmartICE offers enhanced clarity for environmental monitoring and situational awareness in the north. To learn more about what we do visit www.smartice.org. To help us facilitate our rapid growth, we are hiring a Hardware Designer.
The Hardware Designer will be responsible for leading all electronics development for new and
existing SmartICE technologies. They will be integrating into a small engineering team and will
be expected to collaborate with software, mechanical, and logistics to meet project
requirements. This position will be based in St. John’s, Newfoundland and will report directly to
the Technical Operations Manager. SmartICE offers industry competitive salary and benefits
• Lead the design of electronics for new and existing SmartICE technologies including PCBs,
wiring harnesses, and custom cables.
• Develop requirements for equipment in cooperation with the business team and engineering
• Create and maintain project and design documentation for new and existing equipment.
• Maintain and upgrade existing SmartICE technology to mitigate operational risks.
• Participate in in-house electronics production and repair including assembling and soldering
cables and PCBs
Stock and Supply:
• Assist in managing inventory of electronic parts and of spare equipment.
• Keep workplaces clean and functional and follow workplace safety practices.
• Assist in procurement of electronic equipment.
• Develop and maintain relationships with electronics manufacturers.
• Prepare and update work instructions for assembly of electronic equipment.
• Assist with preparation of technical content for training curriculum of new electronic equipment.
• Lead staff to develop hardware.
• Supervise and support skill development of electronics interns.
Academic and Functional Requirements:
• Minimum of 3 years experience in electronics development, testing and troubleshooting.
• Graduation from post-secondary program in electrical engineering, computer engineering
electronics, or similar.
• Experience in completing product design
• Experience using KiCAD or other PCB design software
• Knowledge of LT Spice or similar circuit simulator.
• Hands-on electronic assembly skills including soldering, PCB assembly, circuit
troubleshooting, and safe handling of electronics parts.
• Knowledge of remote sensing technologies.
• Knowledge of Asana or other project management software
• Certification in Project Management.
• Experience in embedded systems.
• Experience in design for manufacturing (DFM).
• Proficient managing multiple and changing priorities in a fast-past, dynamic, and
geographically dispersed environment.
• Ability to work independently and as a team-member.
• Strong written and oral communications skills.
• Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
• A desire and willingness to discover and learn new skills and technologies
Please direct all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your resume and a
design portfolio (if available).
SmartICE embraces diversity and a culture of belonging in the workplace. Applications from
Indigenous, 2SLGBTQ+, Black, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada,
and people with disabilities are encouraged.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for
this position. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.